Have a shirt at home you never wear and don't know what to do with? Turn it into a Christmas stocking this festive season. 🎄 It's super easy and you can sew this easy pattern together by machine or by hand 🪡
1. Print out our FREE template and cut out.
2. Grab your unwanted shirt, cut off the sleeves and yolk (the little back section where the fabric doubles). Cut up the seams to make 2 separate panels. Fold the shirt right sides together and give it a good old iron.
3. Put the template on the shirt, using weights to cut around where you want the pattern to be.
4. For the pocket, you want to cut around the shirts original pocket, leaving around 1cm around. Then iron the extra material back onto itself so it's facing inside the the pocket.
5. Pin the pocket where you want it to be placed on the stocking. Then sew this on with a straight stitch.
6. If you're using a sewing machine you want to pop the two right sides of the stocking together and sew all the way round the outside. If you're stitching by hand you want to use a blanket stitch to stitch all the way around the outside. For this, you want the fabric to be wrong sides together, then simply insert the needle from the back of the fabric feeding through towards yourself, leaving a loop - then feeding the needle back through the loop. Repeat this all the way round your stocking.
7. Fold the top section over and attach a ribbon if you'd like to hang it up!
It's super easy and you can sew this easy pattern together by machine or by hand 🪡
Click here to download the stocking pattern (A3 and A4 versions available)